Christmas is my favorite holiday not only because of time with family and friends but because of the holiday decorations. The house just feels so much warmer with all of the twinkly lights and festive decor.
Creating my own holiday decorations is another fun part of the holiday season. Today I am sharing with you an easy DIY for making your own Christmas wall hanging.
Christmas Wall Hanging
- Large piece of felt (the size will depend on how large you’d like to make yours. See below for how to tell how much to cut)
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Leather or Faux Leather cord (also called lace)
- Dowel or large plastic candy cane. The size will depend on the size of your wall hanging (you’ll notice I used a giant candy cane at first but changed it later because I wasn’t crazy about the look).
- Marker or chalk to mark fabric
- Clips or clamps for the fabirc
Read the directions all the way through at first as there is a diagram further down that will help!
- Decide on a size you’d want your wall hanging to be from the top of it to the bottom of the point. I preferred for my hanging to be long and skinny. Add 5 inches to the height (for the dowel pocket).
- Fold the fabric in half.
- Use a ruler/straight age and a measuring tape to measure and draw out the size of your wall hanging on your felt. I made mine 20 inches across. So I made my marks 10 inches in. And drew a straight line attaching the marks (creating a line for me to cut on).
- Use a ruler or straight edge and place it on one end of the fabric at an angle pointing downwards. Draw a line. (See below what the drawing lines should look like. You can see what my line looked like below).
- Cut your felt.
- Create your design. Don’t forget when you measure to leave about 5 inches at the top of your wall hanging so that you can fold it over to create the hole for the dowel. So if your fabric is 20 inches long, you’ll want your design to only be 15 inches tall.
- Cut your HTV design (you can download my design below for free).
- Weed your design.
- Heat press the design.
- Flip the wall hanging upside down.
- Glue down the top corners of the wall hanging. This will make it easier for the dowel to slide in and out. (see pictures)
- Now, fold the entire top over the dowel. Use clips or clamps to hold it in place.
- Add hot glue at the bottom of the fold to adhere it to the back of the wall hanging.
- Once it’s cooled, insert the dowel.
- Tie one end of the leather lace to one end of the dowel next to the wall hanging.
- Tie the other end of the leather lace on the other side of the wall hanging. Trim excess lace off.
Free Christmas Wall Hanging SVG and Silhouette File
You can make this same DIY wall hanging using the free SVG and Silhouette file. Click below to download the files. *You can personalize the hand towel wraps using the Adobe PDF file. The files are for personal use only and may not be used commercially in any way. To download, sign up here for the password! HINT: If you’re interested in more craft files, make sure to sign up for the “All Things Mom Envy” group. Once you’re signed up, download below using your members-only password.