I am so excited to share this special recipe with you today. Growing up, my Grandma was the family baker. I was lucky enough to get her baking genes (unless my family has been lying to me all these years…).
When things are stressful, I find baking relaxes me. I know how crazy that sounds, but I really do love it. It was something I grew up doing with my Mom, so it’s attached to wonderful family memories. Now, it’s something I love to do with my own family.
Sugar Oatmeal Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup oats
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1. Cream the sugar, shortening, eggs, and vanilla thoroughly.
2. Mix in remaining ingredients.
3. Refrigerate a minimum of 5 hours, I like to wait 24.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5. Scoop dough out using a tablespoon or a cookie scoop 1 tablespoon or 1/2 oz in size.
6. Shape dough into rounded balls.
7. Place on baking sheet lined with wax paper.
8. Sprinkle sugar on top of the dough.
9. Use a spoon or glass and press gently on the ball to flatten the top slightly.
10. Bake 10-12 minutes.
- If you prefer, you can dip the bottom of a glass into sugar and then gently press down the cookie just a little bit.
- Cookies are best if they come out looking slightly underbaked, slightly dark/wet in the center but a toothpick inserted should still come out clean.
- Oven temperatures can vary so you may need to adjust your temperature between 325-275 degrees.
- If your cookie is super dry, try out a different oven temperature.
- Make sure you did not flatten the cookie too much (see pictures above).