Looking for an extra special breakfast or after school snack for back to school? Try these easy homemade back to school poptarts. When searching for my s’mores round-up recipes, I saw a lot of homemade poptarts (including this one).
They looked amazing and I knew I had to try making my own. I decided that back to school was a great opportunity to make something special for Carl. Now, obviously, we can’t make these for every day of the week, but they make the perfect little treat to start the new year. My favorite thing about making homemade poptarts is that you can put any filling you desire in them.
For my recipe today, I went the easy route and used premade pie crust. Pie crust is one of those things I have had trouble getting right (little hands touching the ingredients make it a little difficult). When I am pressed for time, I just grab premade crust.
To channel my Grandma, I flipped through her old cookbooks and found a peach filling. We had fresh peaches from a local farm that I wanted to use up. If you use the store bought pie crust and some preserves, you can make these poptarts so quickly and easily (even making the pie filling from scratch was easy, too). The recipe is below.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read more.
Easy Homemade Poptart Recipe for Back to School
- Leaf cookie cutter (optional)
- Circle cookie cutter or glass
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper (not required)
- Pastry Brush
- Refrigerated Pie Crust (piecrust from scratch works, too!)
- Filling ingredients based on your choice below
- Confectioner’s Sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Red & Green food dye
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Unfold the pie crust onto parchment paper.
- Cut the main part of the apple using a circle cookie cutter or upside down glass. Cut out an even number of circles because each apple takes 2. Keep the scraps (you’ll need them).
- 1 1/4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Homemade Poptart Flavor Ideas
- Peach (see recipe below)
- Fresh strawberries
- S’mores (marshmallow fluff and chocolate chips)
- Any flavor preserves/jam
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon
- Chocolate Mousse
Peach Poptart Filling Recipe
I took the peach pie filling recipe from my Grandma’s vintage Better Homes and Gardens dessert cookbook from 1960 and modified it slightly. I find comfort flipping through the pages of her once-loved cookbooks. The water stains, food splatters, and age spots on the cookbook pages tell a story of days spent in the kitchen preparing nightly dinners and cooking for her family on holidays. The stains are representative of the love my Grandma had for her family (and baking).
Simply mix the ingredients below together.
- 3/4 Cup of Sugar
- 3 tbl flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- dash salt
- 5 cups of peaches, skin removed and diced small
- **Want an easyway to remove the skin of a peach for a pie? Place the peach in a pot of boiling water for about 30 seconds. Then let the peach cool. Peel the skin, it comes right off!